Coconut Poached Alaska Halibut with Mango-Avocado Salsa
Alaska halibut gently poached in coconut milk and spices topped with a bright mango salsa, all over warm jasmine rice - this makes for an out-of-this-world flavorful dish! You can even cook this recipe with frozen halibut for a really quick weeknight meal.
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger (2-inches), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cans coconut milk (13.5 oz per can)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 4 frozen Alaska halibut fillets (6 oz each)
- 3 cups spinach, bok choy or chard (optional)
- Steamed jasmine rice for serving (about 1/2 cup per person)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- salt to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Prepare the halibut. Run frozen Alaska halibut fillets under cold water to remove any ice glaze and pat dry with a paper towel.
Saute the aromatics. Heat the coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger, and cook until everything is aromatic and the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
Combine the sauce and cook halibut. Poor in the coconut milk, soy sauce, salt, vinegar and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil, add the halibut, and reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer. Cover and cook until halibut is just cooked through, about 10-12 minutes depending on thickness (decrease time if fish is defrosted). Halibut should be opaque and flake easily with a fork. Carefully transfer halibut to plate.
- Cook optional greens. With the heat still on, throw in spinach or other leafy greens into the poaching liquid. Using tongs, mix until just wilted (about 2 minutes), then remove.
- Make the salsa. While the halibut is poaching, mix together the mango, avocado, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt to taste. If you like a little heat you can add a pinch of cayenne as well.
- Plate and serve. Serve poached halibut over steamed jasmine rice. Spoon some of the poaching liquid on top, then top with mango-avocado salsa.
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood. alaskaseafood.com