For a fishing family, sustainability is essential to our way of life. We're in this for the long haul, and want to our kids to have the same opportunity.
Our mission for Sena Sea is to provide sustainably caught fish, and to do it as environmentally responsibly as possible. This is not easy when shipping direct, but we are up to the challenge!
We already hand wrap our portions in parchment paper so your fish doesn't touch plastic, now we have eliminated polystyrene (EPS) , polyurethane (PU) and polyethylene (PE) from our shipping boxes!
We have been working closely with KTM Industries on a custom packaging solution to replace styrofoam boxes when shipping.
Green Cell Foam is our solution - it's a natural packaging material made from cornstarch! Green Cell Foam is:
- Biodegradable - Edible, backyard compostable, and water soluble.
- Eco-conscious - Requires 70% less energy and produces 80% less greenhouse gases than petroleum based foams.
Renewable resource - The primary raw material is U.S. grown, non-GMO
cornstarch, an annually renewable resource.
We have peace of mind knowing that our fish will arrive perfectly frozen. KTM did tons of testing using our actual fish and the green cell foam to figure out the perfect combination of gel packs and dry ice to ensure that our fish will remain frozen solid for 48 hours plus. Now we can confidently ship anywhere in the country 2nd day, and know that our high quality product will arrive in perfect condition.
Most of all, I now feel like our shipping practices are in line with our sustainability goals. So far, the use of Green Cell Foam has saved over 1 million polystyrene foam coolers from filling landfills across the country. Being a part of this is something Rich and I are proud of, it just feels like the right thing for Sena Sea.
Green cell foam is more than just recyclable, you can:
- compost in any residential or commercial compost facility. It biodegrades in 60 days or less when in a moist soil environment.
- dissolve large pieces into a bucket of water and let sit overnight. Pour mixture onto plants— it's great plant food!
- dissolve small pieces in the sink and watch it "melt" safely down the drain; it even biodegrades in seawater and freshwater!
- burn cleanly and safely in fireplaces, firepits and power plants— works great to start your barbecue!
Lastly, I just can't talk about sustainable packaging without mentioning our smoked salmon jars. This product doesn't require any type of refrigeration or frozen shipping, and comes in its own re-usable jar. We are very proud of our jars of smoked salmon because they are they are completely consumable and re-usable. We use absolutely no plastic or shipping materials besides recyclable cardboard and tissue paper. Our gift boxes are even shipped in cedar boxes hand milled and hand crafted by Rich in the off-season.